Mont Blanc Solitaire Meisterstuck
fountain pen oddity: can you help?
[Update: this pen has now found a new owner]. This Mont Blanc Solitaire fountain pen is possibly an oddity – you’ll see why in a moment or two. But one quick note first… this writing instrument is not ours, but we would like to help a good customer value it, find out how rare it is (or otherwise) and, if appropriate, possibly find a loving home for it. It is possibly an oddity… so please read on and email us if you know any interesting or relevant information. Thank you in advance!
“About 15 years ago I did some work for Dunhill, who I believe owned the Mont Blanc brand. The pen was part of a consignment sent to the States and returned when it was discovered that the nib was 14 carat gold and not 18 carat.
The retail value at the time was $450, see sticker on box… I am not sure if it can be regarded as a collectors piece or purely an oddity. I get the impression that very few exist. (I could be wrong). Apart from this I have no other information.”
So, there you have it. Can you help?
Questions which immediately spring to mind are…..
- How rare is it?
- How on earth did this ‘error’ with the nib occur – if it is an error?
- Is it worth more – or less – because the nib is 14 carat gold, not 18 carat gold?
- Is there a collector out there who would just love to add it to his/her collection?
- And the million dollar question…. what would a fair market value be?
Description & Condition
The fountain pen is, in effect, ‘new old stock’ but I’ll expand that description a little more. The owner says that it has never been used (that’s quite evident on inspection, as is the fact that it has never had ink put into it). It even has the original “Made in W. Germany” and “M” stickers on the barrel (see photos).
The original leaflets are still under the pen tray of the presentation case.
- International Guarantee/Instruction booklet, as new – gold foil and brown cover, interior in black and white with diagrams etc. Clearly the guarantee is no longer valid.
- Mont Blanc Guarantee card/4 page booklet, as new – litho gold cover with blind embossed logo and black text to reverse and interior. Again, clearly the warranty is now out of date. This card had never been filled in.
- Black and white folded leaflet – “Mont Blanc.. instructions for filling.. for converter use.. for continuous use…Exclusive Montblanc Representative in the U.S. and Canada… KOH-I-NOOR RAPIDOGRAPH, INC. Bloomsbury, New Jersey 08804” address and blurb. As new.
The presentation case (with its beige suede effect exterior and brown velvet effect interior) is in ‘new‘ condition having always been More